Monday, December 21, 2009

A familiar sound...

Tonight while driving I heard a mens chorus singing a Christmas carol on the radio. Somehow I knew without a doubt it was the mens choir from BYU. I don't know if it was the sound ideal, the production, the hall, the arrangement (possibly Mac Wilberg)... Turns out it WAS them, but the arrangement was Randall Thompson. Besides feeling proud of my listening skills, the music of Christmas combined with thoughts of my alma mater left me nostalgic and introspective. I am so grateful for my experiences at BYU, musical and otherwise. Sometimes I regret not taking advantage of the wonderful opportunities at my fingertips there. I am happy to be going home for Christmas this week. There were a few times in Utah when I didn't get to. I believe I am a stronger, wiser, and more emotionally solid person now than I was then. Is that maturity? Or just wisdom gained from experience? At times I felt so sure of who I was, but at others so lost in the world. Now I know more of who I am, but in this knowledge, I realize how much more there is to learn...

Now I am listening to Arvo Part to help reunite the pieces of my brain that have been scattered by this busy holiday season. I thank God for the glorious gift to humanity that is music!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home