Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Surprise weekend

To counterbalance my angsty post from this morning, I'm writing about the happy events of this past weekend:

My sister conducted a cantata-type-thing for church this past Sunday. Originally, I wasn't going to be able to make it due to a singing engagement of my own that day, but I was released from said obligation. I decided not to tell my parents or my sister that I was coming into town.

I drove to Illinois right after work on Saturday. I arrived at the 'rents house at 11pm. I saw their bedroom light still on, so I just knocked on the door. After undoing the bolt, my dad let me in. He said: "Well, surprise! Hi Craig!" I thought "surprise" was my line, but hey... Mom appeared in her night robe, and in a scolding tone told me that she almost had a heart attack because no one calls or knocks after 11 unless it's bad news! Of course that was followed with a hug.

Sunday I had to sit through church, but it was worth it for the following exchange. Before the meeting was about start, a young man was chopping away at the piano for prelude music. An old Navy man/ carpenter friend of my dad's was trying to talk to me, but was finding the piano playing hard to bear. He quipped "Go up there and break his face, will ya?" I about died. After a few more attempts at conversation he offered "He don't play good, but he plays loud. Get's about half the notes..." This was outrageously funny music critique as you wouldn't expect such acurrate, if not disdainful commentary from such a guy.

That night I surprised my sister at her performance. She cried a little as she exclaimed "That's an unfair surprise!" Yes, they were HAPPY tears for all the smarty-pants readers. She did an amazing job conducting the chamber choir and orchestra consisting almost entirely of amatures. It was her first conducting gig, although she has a clarinet degree from Indiana. So, I was way proud of her.

All in all, it was great to see the fam and the puppies. Fun times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home