Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Le nuove musiche

Last night I read through some Rachmaninoff art songs with Rachel. I love "discovering" new music! The process is quite exhausting though. So afterwards I fell into a big bowl of popcorn and an episode of Malcom in the Middle.

I am finding that I hate Hvorostovsky right now. He sings soprano/tenor art songs only one step below the original key, which makes me want to aspire to sing that high. In addition, these transpositions are not to be found in print (at least here). English speaking countries REALLY need to get on the ball and start publishing performable editions of these Russian composers. Our library didn't even have an edition of Tchaikovsky art songs with the original Russian, only German and English. (Pause to shake fist and mumble scathing remarks unintelligibly like an old man). So for now, it's either spend the next millenium entering music into Finale for transposing, or getting a larynx transplant if I want to sing some of these pieces.

5 Comments:

At 8/25/2005 02:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you stealing my passion for Russian music? By the way, you're merely at the wrong library if you can't find scores with the Russian text. You could buy them at Classical Vocal Reprints.
You missed my wedding reception!

 
At 8/25/2005 04:23:00 PM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

Well, if it is any consolidation (which it probably isn't), you are *much* better looking than Hvorostovsky. Why is his hair white? Did he get hit by lightening? And why does he look like a girl yet sound like a m-a-n? These are questions we might never know the answer to. Love!

 
At 8/25/2005 05:01:00 PM, Blogger Pepperz said...

I vote for the larynx transplant. Would go well with your fucia miniskirt. Muah!

xoxo
Todd

 
At 8/25/2005 06:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can't hate the russian. he's dreamy.

 
At 8/25/2005 06:51:00 PM, Blogger craiger said...

Heather-YES! I am stealing your passion for Russian music cuz it rocks my face off. Thanks for the tips! As for your reception, I thought it was in Sept! I'm a horrible friend, but I'll find a way to make it up to you.

Eddy-perhaps he stuck his finger in a light socket? I got nuthin... But it hasn't always been that way (see early pics).

Todd-you know i do NOT wear fuscia! Only puse and chartruse! Jeez!

Anonymous-He's actually a horrible dresser (came out wearing white pants and a kaleidescope shirt after a recital) but he's Russian so what can you do? =) Ps. who are you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home