Thursday, December 15, 2005

Hope springs eternal

I know that my entries sometime encompass the sentimental, but be warned this one combines sentiment with politics!

I have to admit that I was rather moved this morning as I read reports on the voting in Iraq yesterday. Pictures of women who had never been able to vote before, 60% turnout (so much higher than here), extended polling hours due to the turnout, polling places running out of ballots, participation by the Suni (who had shunned the last election) all gave me hope for the country and more significantly, the region. Let's be honest, there hasn't been that much hope to go around in that part of the world. This is why I supported a war in Iraq. No matter what you think of the war though, one cannot deny the amazing events of yesterday's Iraqi vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home